Search this blog

Thursday, November 30, 2017

October 11th

When Your Childhood Isn't As Good As You Remember

Do you have really fond memories of certain foods from your childhood that really are not good foods, but you just remember them being so good?  I do.  For example, I remember cans of Chef Boyardee lasagna being sooooo good, but I'm pretty sure it's probably not.  Well, I also remembered these steaks being really good.  Well, let's just say they weren't what I remember.

Minute Steaks

I don't know what kind of beef these steaks are made of, but I know it's low quality.  They are sometimes called minute steaks, sometimes cube steaks, but they're always cheap.  I remember my mom making these for us and thinking that they were so delicious.  I remembered them being really salty, so I salted these babies up before cooking.  I added a lot of salt, but I still don't think it was enough because they didn't taste as salty as I remembered and they were a little tough. 
The best part though is that they are so thin, so they literally take about a minute to cook (hence the name).  Definitely don't over cook them or you'll have hockey pucks.  I ate mine with some A1, which helped a bit.

Grades:

Megan - C- (These were tough and not salty enough.  I guess you get what you pay for and you don't always like the same things as when you were a kid.)

Noelle - A (I thought Noelle would complain about these being chewy because she's said that before about better cuts of steak I've given her.  But, to my surprise she LOVED these steaks!  She ate all of hers and asked for more.  Hmmm...I liked them as a kid, she likes them as a kid.  Maybe instead of minute steaks they should be called childhood steaks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment