Search this blog

Thursday, November 16, 2017

September 18th

A Different Fake Noodle

If you read this blog, you know I have been experimenting with Zoodles (zucchini noodles) lately.  Tonight I decided to broaden my fake noodle horizons and try a butternut squash noodle.  Wow, do I have a lot to say about this. 

I'll start by saying that I think butternut squash makes an even better noodle-impersonator than zucchini.  The texture gets a little more noodle-like and it has kind of a nutty flavor that lends itself nicely to most pasta sauces, especially this mushroom sauce.  I definitely want to try making more butternut squash noodles.

That being said, let me tell you...making these noodles (boodles??) was really difficult!  I do not have a quality spiralizer and would not recommend making them unless you do.  I have a handheld veggetti, which is NOT the right tool for spiralizing butternut squash (I am looking to invest in a better spiralizer).  I had a hard time getting it to turn into noodles at all because the shape of the squash doesn't lend itself to the Veggetti.  Even when I cut the squash it really wasn't fitting well. 

Also, the squash is such a hard vegetable, that it really was SUPER hard to get it through the spiralizer.  Maybe cooking the squash slightly before spiralizing would help?  I seriously got a workout from spiralizing this.  I'm not joking.  There was sweat.  And my arms were sore.

Finally, something weird happened to my hands after making this and after a little googling, I found that it's a common problem with squash.  After making this dinner the skin on my hands felt tight.  Like uncomfortably tight.  Almost as if I had put a facial peel on my hands, but couldn't peel it off.  I tried washing my hands several times, scrubbed them with a sponge, and even soaked them in sudsy water for 5 minutes and I could not get this uncomfortable tight film off.  It sounds silly, but it was so uncomfortable.  So I googled it and learned that squash emits something almost like a sap when you cut it and it leaves a film on whatever it touches including your hands.  Apparently there's no good way to get it off except to wait.  So, I'd suggest wearing gloves if you are handling a lot of squash.

Butternut Squash Noodles with Creamy Garlic Mushrooms and Lentils
recipe from: http://wallflowerkitchen.com/spiralized-butternut-noodles-creamy-garlic-mushrooms-lentils-vegan-gf/
So I changed up this recipe quite a bit because I didn't care for it to be vegan and was still trying to keep it healthy.

The first simple thing I changed was that I didn't add any lentils.  Mostly because I didn't have them, but also because I thought they would be weird in it.

The other things I changed were in the sauce.  I didn't use almond milk, tapioca flour, or nutritional yeast.  Instead I used milk and regular flour.  If you want to make this really good, I would add some butter and maybe use heavy cream in the sauce instead of milk. 

Grades:

Megan - A- (I really liked the butternut squash as a noodle and I really liked the flavor of the sauce.  I wished that my sauce was coating the noodles a little more than it was.  The heavy cream and flour would help with that, but I was trying to keep mine healthier.)

Noelle - F (Noelle literally gagged when she ate this.  Enough said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment