Search this blog

Monday, November 13, 2017

September 11th

So Much Green

This dinner is packed full of green.  Between the zucchini and the pesto, it's a great green dinner.  Maybe add some red pomegranate seeds and there's a perfect red and green Christmas dinner :)

Zoodles with Chicken and Pesto
recipe adapted from: Dana Kiefer
When I posted about my first Zoodle experience I got a few ideas and tips from other people's zoodles recipes.  This one was from a college friend Dana.
 I made a few changes to make it easier for me and use ingredients I had on hand.   Dana said she puts chicken meatballs in it which would be amazing!  I was feeling lazy and didn't want to make meatballs, so I just used ground chicken.  She also adds spiralized carrots which I didn't do because I didn't have any.  Finally, she said she uses cherry tomatoes, but I just used a cut up tomato because that's what I had from our garden.

Ingredients:
- spiralized zucchini (I used 5-6)
- 1 lb. cooked/seasoned ground chicken (Dana's original recipe calls for chicken meatballs, which would be way better than just using ground chicken like I did)
- diced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- Garlic (1-2 cloves)
- Pesto

Directions:
1.  Heavily salt the zucchini after zoodling.  Let it rest for a few minutes and then spin in a salad spinner.
2.  Toss in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
3.  Move to a skillet of simmering cherry tomatoes, spiralized carrots, pesto, garlic, and meatballs.  Toss and serve.

Grades:

Megan - A (I liked this and thought the preparation of salting/spinning the zucchini helped make it a little more pasta like.  Next time I'm not going to be lazy and I'm going to make those chicken meatballs because I think having meatballs in it rather than just ground chicken would really bump the flavor up a lot!)

Noelle - D- (This was way too much green for Noelle to handle.  She immediately informed me that she did not want to eat the zoodles and only wanted the chicken.  I of course made her try the zucchini, but then for the rest of the meal she only ate the chicken out of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment