Search this blog

Sunday, May 21, 2017

May 15th

A Baby in the Oven

There's no bun in my oven, but there is a Dutch Baby.  Prior to making this I had never heard of a Dutch Baby.  But since then, I had learned that it is a German pancake and is usually sweet and served for breakfast.  This one is savory and we ate it for dinner.  I think it would make an excellent breakfast though.

Dutch Baby Pest Breakfast Pizza
recipe from: http://hostthetoast.com/dutch-baby-pesto-breakfast-pizza/






When my friend Belinda sent me a link to this recipe (thank you!) on Instagram, I knew I had to try it.  Not because it had great ingredients (which it does), but because it looked so beautiful in the picture.  Mine of course didn't turn out quite as great looking as the one from the recipe, but I think it still looks pretty. 
This Dutch Baby puffed up like crazy and looked really strange when it was cooing in the oven.  But, after it cooled it went down a bit and looked more like a pizza crust.  It did not taste like a pizza crust though.  It was very eggy - almost like a quiche. 
Everything would've been perfect with my version of the recipe except that I over cooked the eggs on top so my yolk wasn't runny.  That runny yolk would've been amazing with this and I really missed it.  So, don't let the eggs trick you.  They don't look done, but they are.

Grades:

Megan - B (I thought this had an interesting texture and a good herb-y flavor.  The prosciutto and asparagus on it were great.  I would've probably given it a higher grade if it had runny eggs.  I also would really like to try the sweet version of this!)

Noelle - This goes against everything I always say, because usually I make Noelle try everything, but I didn't even attempt to have her try this one.  There were too many components that I know she doesn't like (asparagus, bacon/proscuitto, herbs).  I should've had her at least try a little because maybe she would've surprised me and liked it.  Oh well, she'll try the next one.  And since she didn't have any, it left more for Doug who was kind of in love with this little Dutch Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment