Search this blog

Saturday, March 18, 2017

March 16th

Creamy and Leeky

Another hit from the Belgian cookbook.  You should really just buy this cookbook, because everything we've made from it is really tasty.

Leek and Potato Soup
recipe from: Everyone Eats Well in Belgium Cookbook by Ruth Van Waerebeek


I did not have high hopes for this soup since it basically only has two ingredients - leeks and potatoes.  But, I was pleasantly surprised.  That will teach me not to doubt the Belgian cookbook!
There was a surprising amount of flavor in this from the leeks and I really liked that the potatoes were blended.  It made the soup really creamy and smooth without adding heavy cream.  
To make it even better I would add crumbled bacon and shredded cheese on top.  That would make it taste like a loaded baked potato.

Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 5 large leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed well and sliced into thin rounds
  • 1 lb baking potatoes (2 large), peeled and cubed
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
  1. Melt the butter in a medium sized soup pot over low heat.  Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.  The leeks should be softened but not browned.  Remove 3/4 cup of the cooked leeks and reserve. 
  2. Add the potatoes and chicken broth to the remaining leeks.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat.  Simmer, covered until the vegetables are soft, 20-25 minutes.
  3. Let the soup cool slightly, then press through a food mill or puree in batches in a blender or food processor (I used an immersion blender).  Return the puree to the soup pot and stir in the milk.  Add the reserved leeks.  Reheat slowly but do not let the soup boil.  Season with salt and pepper.
Grades:

Megan - A (As said above, this surprised me with the amount of flavor it had, and I really liked the creaminess.)

Doug -  B

Noelle - B- (Upon first bite, Noelle made herself gag after tasting it [which really is a disgusting habit she's starting].  Then she quickly told me she did not want to eat the "skin" [aka leeks].  When I started giving her bites with just the potato soup and peas [I put peas in hers to get some more veggies in], then she started eating it all up.  She made sure to remind me throughout dinner not to give her any more look pieces...I mean skin.)



No comments:

Post a Comment