Search this blog

Monday, March 6, 2017

February 26th

Salt Baby Diet

When Noelle was a baby I was always really worried about her eating salt since I read somewhere that baby's kidneys can't process salt.  Doug thought I was crazy and said he thought salt was fine.  Then he joked that he was going to create the "Salt Baby Diet."  This diet has been an ongoing joke in our house.  However, tonight I think Doug really was cooking for the Salt Baby Diet.

No-Sear Beef and Chickpea Stew
recipe from: http://recipes.177milkstreet.com/recipes/no-sear-lamb-or-beef-and-chickpea-stew


This recipe seemed promising since it is from Christopher Kimball, who after leaving America's Test Kitchen (one of my favorite cooking shows and cookbooks), has started his own cooking blog.
I think it could've been great...if it wasn't so salty.
I don't think I've ever thought something was so salty that I couldn't even eat it.  I like salt and usually can handle a lot of it.  However, this stew was just too salty!  Doug said he followed the recipe and put in the amount of salt it asked for.  So, if you make this, be sure to add WAAAYYY less salt.  Like only add 1/4 of the amount.  Then I think it will be delish!
Oh, and it says you can make it with beef or lamb.  Jewel's lamb wasn't looking so great, so we made it with beef.  Good for me since I'm not the biggest lamb fan anyway.

Grades:

Megan - D (It only got this grade because the salt made it pretty inedible and also gave it the nickname "salty stew."  If it weren't ruined by the salt it probably would've been a high B or maybe even an A)

Doug - B-

Noelle - F (Noelle didn't say it was too salty, but I'm pretty sure she was thinking it.  She ate a couple chickpeas and a couple bites of beef and was thinking, "no more Salt Baby Diet for me!"  Usually she loves chickpeas and that couldn't even entice her. )

No comments:

Post a Comment