Search this blog

Monday, September 11, 2017

August 17th

When a Tough Cut Gets Good

Growing up we ate grilled flank steak quite often in the summer.  Nowadays flank steak is a pretty popular cut of meat, but back then I don't think it was quite as famous.  It is a tough cut of meat and not the most flavorful, so it needs a little love before you cook it.  However, if you prepare it well and slice it correctly, it is really delicious.  And it just reminds me of summer.

Grilled Flank Steak
no recipe...just grillin
First let me just brag a little bit...I am famous for overcooking meats on the grill.  But this one was cooked perfectly!!  Ah, that was nice. 

Ok...so when we were kids my mom used to poke the flank steak with a fork and then sprinkle it with a TON of meat tenderizer and let it sit for a while while the tenderizer got to work.  Honestly, I would have done the same thing because it works really well, but we didn't have meat tenderizer.  Instead, I just poked it and sprinkled it with a TON of salt because I figured salt would also help break down the toughness of the meat.

Then I grilled it perfectly :)

Then, I let it rest and sliced it.  Now, when you slice it, you need to slice against the grain on an angle.  And make the slices thin.  Then you will have a tender, flavorful piece of flank steak that has a great grilled, summery flavor.

Grades:

Megan - A (Summer in my mouth.)

Noelle - A- (I was worried Noelle would complain about it being chewy because she eats our dinners leftover the next day and leftover steak isn't the greatest.  But, no complaints here.  She ate it all up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment