Search this blog

Friday, April 21, 2017

April 20th

Bonus Time

Below is what I ate for dinner and a bonus recipe for overnight oats.  There are so many different ways to make overnight oats and I have been obsessed with them lately.  I've tried many different ones, but this is one of my favorites.  If you've never had overnight oats, they have more of a pudding consistency than oatmeal consistency.  I love to eat them cold right out of the fridge, but I think you could heat them up too. 

Mike Ditka's Grilled Sirloin Salad
recipe from: Chicago Tribune Magazine





My mom gave me a stack of old recipes she had from her house and this was one of them.  I know she tore it out of Chicago Tribune Magazine, but I have no idea what issue.  Probably sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s. 
The salad was good, but even though I put less onions than the recipe called for, it still had way too many onions.  Cut out most of the onions and it would be even better.

Ingredients:

  • 4 boneless strip sirloin steaks, 6 oz each or 2 12 oz steaks
  • 8 oz arugula, cleaned
  • 4 oz red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 medium onion)
  • 6 plum tomatoes, sliced
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette (see below)
  • 4 oz asiago cheese
  • 2 tbs white truffle oil
vinaigrette:
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
  1. Broil or grill the steaks to desired degree of doneness, 7-9 minutes.
  2. While the steaks are cooking, make a bed of arugula on four dinner plates.  Sprinle sliced onion over the lettuce and arrange six tomato slices on the rim of each plate.  Drizzle vinaigrette over the lettuce.
  3. Cut each cooked steak into six to eight slices; arrange the slices in the center of the plate so they overlap.  Sprinkle on shaved asiago and drizzle truffle oil over the meat.  serve.
 Grades:

Megan - B (Too  many onions, but other than that, it was great.)

Bonus...

Banana Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats
recipe from: https://wholefully.com/8-classic-overnight-oats-recipes-you-should-try/

Ok, I have a huge obsession with these right now.  I look forward to eating them every day and am sad when they are gone.  I have made all of the flavors on this blog and the banana chocolate chip is my favorite because I usually have all the ingredients on hand and its so, so good.  My other favorite is the tropical fruit one, but that takes a little more planning because I don't usually have all those ingredients.  You really should make this and see if you're as obsessed as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment