Search this blog

Friday, April 14, 2017

April 13th

A Slow-Cooked Meal Without A Slow-Cooker

This recipe was supposed to be made in a crock-pot, but I don't have a crock-pot.  I probably should have one, but if you know me, you know I'm really cheap.  I just can't seem to fork up the cash to buy one when I'd probably only use it a few times a year.  If you think I'm wrong and I NEED one, let me know why...maybe you can change my mind! :)
Anyway...since I don't have a slow cooker, I cooked it on low (325 degrees) in the oven.  It worked out perfectly.  The only downside to that method is that you have to have your oven on for a long time and you can't leave the house with it cooking.

Slow Cooker Beef Ragu with Papparedelle 
recipe from: http://pinchofyum.com/slow-cooker-beef-ragu-with-pappardelle




This recipe was from my sister who made it for her family and said they loved it.  My family agrees!
I thought it might turn out a little bland because there are so few ingredients, however I was wrong...not bland at all!
I adjusted the cooking time since I did it in the oven and I didn't have 6 hours to spare.  I only cooked mine for 3 hours at 325 and the meat was really tender and pretty perfect.
Also, I could not find pappardelle pasta, so I used Cavatelli pasta and it was good.  My sister said she used egg noodles and that was good too.

Grades:

Megan - A (The beef turned out really tender even though I was skeptical about using flank steak since it can be tough.  The sauce was tasty.  And you know, pasta is always good.)

Noelle - A+ (Noelle uttered multiple Mmm's while eating this.  She also said "it has special beef in it."  I'm not sure what that means...maybe just that it was different than the ground beef that she's used to.  After she had been eating a while she said, "Mommy try some!"  Like I said, she was really into it.  The only thing she didn't really like was that there were a couple carrots hiding in there.  Luckily there weren't many though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment