Search this blog

Thursday, January 26, 2017

January 25th

Brazilian Food

I feel like the only Brazilian food most Americans experience is a Brazilian steakhouse where they bring you unlimited meat on a sword.  Don't get me wrong...I love those places.  However, I'm pretty sure that's not what Brazilians eat every day.  I would think that the food we ordered tonight is more representative of day-to-day Brazilian food.

Taste of Brasil
Oak Park, IL

I forgot to take pictures again and I am so sorry, because since most people haven't had these foods, it would be nice to have pictures to show you.  I guess I was just too excited to eat it!

We ordered carry-out from Taste of Brasil.  If you live in the area, I'd recommend it.  The food is good and the people are friendly.  I have eaten in the restaurant too.  It's very small, but we had great service.

I had a beef risoles which is ground beef and cheese all mixed up inside a fried croquette type thing.  Soooooo good!  I was originally debating just ordering a couple of these for my dinner.
I also had a picanha sandwich, which according to the menu is Brazil's most traditional steak, called "picanha" served on a lightly toasted french bread with caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese.  This is like a steak sandwich but the meat has great flavor and the onions add deliciousness.

Doug had a chicken risoles, which is the same thing as the one I had but filled with chicken, sweet corn, and cheese.
He also had feijoada which the restaurant says is the national dish of Brazil.  It is a black bean stew with assorted smoked pork and sausage.  It was served with collard greens and farofa (sauteed cassava flour and seasonings.)

Grades:

Megan - A (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the risoles and could eat them for my entire meal.  My sandwich was also very tasty.)

Doug - A-

Noelle - A (Noelle ate the leftovers of my sandwich and really liked it.  She kept saying "I want more cheeseburger please.  Oh, that's not a cheeseburger, that's a sandwich!" She even ate the onions!)

No comments:

Post a Comment