Search this blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Healthy & Hearty

Since my wedding is coming up, I am trying to go into super-healthy mode.  However, even though I am trying to eat less and eat healthier, I hate feeling hungry.  I find that a lot of health foods just don't fill me up.  This meal is an exception.  It was not only healthy, but is very low carb and full of fresh ingredients.  And, it filled me up!  I would make these recipes again, even if I wasn't on a diet :)


Drink...
Tom Collins
I scoured the internet for a low calorie mixed drink.  Let me tell you, they are not easy to find.  Most of the mixed drinks available have a ton of sugar in them, which is precisely what I am trying to avoid.  The mixed drinks I found that didn't have a lot of sugar sounded gross, as they were mostly just straight alcohol or liqueur mixed with water—blah!  Finally, I found one.  It has artificial sweetener in it, which I know some people do not like.  But, I have been using Stevia extract lately.  I think it's a good replacement for sugar because it has no calories and is made from a plant extract, so it isn't full of chemicals.  I am not the biggest gin fan, but this drink was delicious and refreshing.  Plus, based on my calculations it only has 115 calories and no sugar (the only ingredients with calories are the gin and lemon juice).

Ingredients:
•1.5 (3tbsp)oz gin
•1 oz (2tbsp) lemon juice, or more to taste
•1 packet of Splenda or Equal (*I used Stevia*)
•Club soda
•Lemon slice for garnish


Directions:
  1. Mix gin, lemon juice, and sweetener in a glass. 
  2. Add club soda to taste, and then add ice cubes. 
  3. Garnish with lemon slices.
Dinner...
Paleasagna 
*recipe from What Runs Lori
I am obsessed with goat cheese, so when I saw the ingredients included it, I was ready to make it.  When I saw the recipe, I was wondering how it got it's name.  In case you are like me, and have never heard of the Paleolithic Diet (Paleo Diet), you might be wondering the same thing.  According to Wikipedia, this diet is also referred to as the Caveman Diet or the Hunter-Gatherer Diet.  It is based on the idea that humans are genetically adapted to the diet of their Paleolithic ancestors, and we would be healthier if we ate their diet.  The diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture-raised meats, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.  It excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.  I don't know that I agree with this diet and this recipe doesn't conform to it exactly, but I do think it's good to eat fresh foods, low sugar, and low carbs, which this recipe has.  Besides the healthiness, it was quite delicious, filling, and easy to make.  My only suggestion is to add more seasoning than the recipe suggests, because I found it a bit bland.
Ingredients:
(makes 5-6 servings)
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 1/2 pound of extra lean turkey, or ground sirloin
  • 1 15oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 3 tbsp Italian spice blend (*I would add more*)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 pound of zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into medallion rounds
  • 1/2 cup raw goat cheese, shredded
  • 1 cups Greek yogurt
  • 1 head broccoli, roughly chopped (*I used eggplant since Doug doesn't like broccoli and it was delicious*)
  • 1 egg
Directions:
  1. In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the diced onions. Sauté on medium-high until softened, about 3-5 minutes. 
  2. Add the ground turkey, canned tomato and tomato paste, spices, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Continue to cook all ingredients until the turkey is cooked through. Set aside when done.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine raw goat cheese, Greek yogurt, broccoli (*eggplant*) pieces, and egg. Mix well.
eggplant mixture
  4.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a 13 x 9 Pyrex glass baking dish. Place a layer of zucchini and squash rounds evenly across the bottom, making a sort of liner.
squash & zucchini
   5.  Add a layer of turkey-tomato sauce on top of the zucchini.
meat & tomato layer
  6.  Top that with some of the broccoli and yogurt mixture. 
eggplant, cheese, and yogurt layer
  7.  Continue with this layering process until you have used all of your ingredients.  Top the entire dish with more shredded goat cheese, if desired.
Final Product!
  8.  Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Dessert...
Chocolate-Coconut Mousse
I cannot feel satisfied after a meal until I have dessert.  So, no matter how healthy I am trying to be, dessert is always included.  This dessert is a surprising twist on chocolate mousse and is sugar free! It has a strong coconut flavor, so liking coconut is a must for this one.  I found that it was even better after I left it in a bowl uncovered in the fridge overnight because it got thicker and was more of a mousse texture.  
To make it, you have to use thickened coconut milk.  This is a recent trick I learned, and I am still amazed by it (although it didn't work as well for me as expected).  If you put an unopened can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, the water will separate from it and you will be left with a very thick coconut milk that can be whipped with other ingredients to make things like mousse or whipped cream.  Simply amazing!
Ingredients:
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 T cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (I used a little stevia, but any dry sweetener will do.)
Directions:
  1. Leave the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. (Don’t shake the can before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen, or especially Thai Kitchen Organic.) (*My first attempt at this failed.  I think it was because I poured it into a bowl and left it in the fridge.  For the second attempt, which worked much better, I left the can unopened in the fridge and tried the Thai Kitchen brand.  It worked much better.*)
 
1st attempt - fail :(
2nd attempt - success!
  2.  Once thick, transfer to a bowl  (leave out the watery bit at the bottom of the can) and whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a whisk, or even beaters if you want to be fancy.  
  3.  Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment