Search this blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

A Delicious Dinner for Doug

I told you all that June was a big birthday month for me.  My last post was for my sister's birthday and this one is for my fiance, Doug's birthday!  I wanted to make him a dinner of all his favorite things.  Well, his favorite thing I can make is actually chicken piccata, and I already made that for my blog.  So...I made his second favorite dinner :)
Drink...
Bière de Belœil
I always feel like I am kind of cheating when I just put a beer or wine on here instead of making a cocktail.  However, I can truly say that beer is Doug's favorite drink.  I let him pick this one out.  This beer is brewed by one of Doug's favorite breweries; Brasserie DuPont.  He decided to try it because of that brewery being one his favorites.  However, he said it was good, not outstanding.  If you want to try a real stand-out beer from Brasserie DuPont, than try one of their Saison beers.
Ingredients:
  • A slightly chilled bottle of Bière de Belœil (we keep ours in our wine fridge at 50 degrees Fahrenheit)
Directions:
  1. Pour and enjoy :)
Dinner...
Chicken and Asparagus Pasta 
*recipe from Maureen K.
This is one of Doug's (and my) favorite pasta dishes of all time!  It is soooo good and soooo easy to make!  It was invented by my mom (I know...she is such a great cook).  Please, make it....I guarantee you will like it!  Just an FYI - I always add WAAAY more red pepper flakes than the recipe calls for, and quite a few more splashes of wine and lemon juice than it calls for just to make it extra flavorful.
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1-2 inch long pieces
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 to 6 cloves of garlic (I use 6)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I use A LOT more - probably about 1 1/2 - 2 tbs!  It really is not spicy, just adds more flavor)
  • 1 whole tomato, chopped or grape tomatoes, sliced (I usually don't add tomatoes, but it would be good in it)
  • 2 - 3 tbs lemon juice (I usually add a little bit more)
  • 1/3 cup white wine (again, I usually add a few extra splashes)
  • garlic powder
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 lb chicken breast, chopped into pieces
  • Parmesan cheese
Directions:
  1. Season the chicken breast pieces with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Cook in olive oil until almost done.  Remove from pan.
  2. Cook linguine according to the package directions.
  3. Cook asparagus in microwave until tender.
  4. Add 3/4 cup of olive oil to the pan the chicken was cooked in.  Cook garlic and red pepper in oil. 
  5. Add chicken, asparagus, white wine, lemon juice, and tomato.  Heat through.
  6. Toss the linguine with the Parmesan cheese.
Dessert...
Liege Style Waffle with Speculoos Spread
There is a food truck here in NYC called Waffles and Dinges.  I first tried their waffles last fall and immediately told Doug he had to try them.  Since then, we are both officially addicted!  They have many different kinds of waffles there, but the only one we have had is the "Throwdown Waffle".  It's named that because the owner of the truck was on the TV show Throwdown with Bobby Flay and won.  It is one of their Liege style waffles with Speculoos Spread and whipped cream.  
Doug also has a recent addiction (I do too, but not as strong of an addiction) to Speculoos Spread.  It is a delicious Belgian gingerbread cookie spread (I don't really like gingerbread, but I love this stuff!).  Doug prefers the one bought from Le Pain Quotidien, which is the one we used in this recipe.  I prefer the one from Trader Joes.  They call it Cookie Butter and I think it is less gingerbready.  Plus it is cheaper and comes in a bigger jar :)  
This is a super easy recipe to make (especially since we don't have a waffle maker, so I just bought a Liege style waffle they sell in packages at convenience stores around here) and is really incredibly delicious. 
Ingredients:
  • 1 Liege style waffle
  • Speculoos Spread
  • Whipped cream
Directions:
  1. Make a waffle, or buy a pre-made one like me.  If you buy one, put it in the toaster to heat it up and toast it a bit.
  2. Spread Speculoos over the warm waffle.
  3. Top with whipped cream, and try not to eat it too fast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment