Search this blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Laborless Labor Day!

There are many reasons to love Labor Day, the main one being that there is no work!  But, there is also barbequing and celebrating outside with friends and family.  I love barbeque food, but this time I decided to do something different (especially since I don't have a grill!)  This dinner would be perfect to bring to a picnic and celebrate the end of summer.  Plus it's all really easy - there's no laboring away in the kitchen on Labor Day!
Drink...
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cocktail
*recipe from Pinnacle Vodka
I'm not gonna lie...I mainly chose this drink because I had all the ingredients in my apartment.  However, I will say that pineapple juice does remind me of summer and it was an easy, delicious drink that would be perfect for a labor day party!
Ingredients:
  • 2 oz Cake Vodka
  • 4 oz club soda
  • splash of pineapple juice
  • Maraschino cherry
Directions:
  1. Mix the first three ingredients in a glass full of ice.
  2. Garnish with a cherry.
Dinner...
BLT Pasta Salad and Fried Pickles
What's better than a pasta salad and some fried food for a Labor Day party? Maybe a hamburger would be better (if you know me, you know I am obsessed with hamburgers), but I can't always make a burger, so this is a great second best :) Plus, Doug was out of town this weekend, so I was trying to take advantage of that and make things that I know he doesn't like and wouldn't eat if he were there.
BLT Pasta Salad
*recipe from: A Bird and a Bean
Pasta salad is a classic side dish for any picnic or barbeque.  This time, the pasta salad can be the main dish.  If you like a BLT, you will like this pasta.  I would add a little more bacon, because more bacon is always a good thing!
Ingredients:
  • 12 ounce corkscrew shaped pasta
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 12 ounces lean bacon
  • 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup mayo (you could use 1/4 cup mayo and 1/4 cup greek yogurt)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons chopped chives
  • 5 heads Bibb lettuce, quartered, or 5 cups chopped romaine hearts
Directions:
  1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside. 
  2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pan. 
  3. Add the tomatoes, thyme and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper.  
  4. Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside 1/4 cup for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta. 
  5. Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and 3 tablespoons chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. 
  6. Add the lettuce; toss again to coat. 
  7. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve at room temperature.  
Fried Pickles with Chipotle Mayo Dip
I am somewhat new to fried pickles since I have only had them a few times.  But, the times I have had them, I LOVED them!  These pickles were good, but I think I'll stick to getting them at restaurants rather than making them at home.  If you do make them (and don't get me wrong - they were good, I ate all of them!), I might leave out the cornmeal and I would definitely make the chipotle mayo again.  But watch out, because the chipotles can be really spicy!
Ingredients: 
for the pickles:
  • 1 24-ounce Jar Kosher dill pickle spears or slices
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup Louisiana hot sauce (I like Texas Pete)
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 gal peanut oil
  • Uncle Bubba's Fry Mix
    • 6 cups self-rising flour (If you can’t find self-rising flour, use 6 cups all-purpose flour plus 3 tablespoons baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt)
    • 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal (If you can’t find self-rising cornmeal, use 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white cornmeal, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon pepper 
 for the dip: 
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 chipotle pepper (from the can with adobo) 
  • adobo sauce (from the can of peppers) 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 5 drops Worcestershire sauce
Directions: 
for the dip:
  1. Combine all the dip ingredients in a food processor or blender. For the adobo sauce, I used all the sauce in the can, but maybe start with a little and work your way up. Blend it all together until it’s thoroughly combined, then place in a bowl and chill until serving.
for the pickles: 
mmm...fried food
  1. Make the fry mix by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Drain the juice from the pickle jar and refill the jar with the garlic powder, hot sauce, and buttermilk. Marinate the pickles for at least 30 minutes. 
  3. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Drain the pickles. 
  4. Put the fry mix in a large mixing bowl, and toss the pickles to coat thoroughly. Shake off the excess mix by tossing lightly in a strainer and deep fry the pickles in batches for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the spears.
  5. When golden brown, remove the pickles from the oil with a clean strainer or slotted metal spoon and place on paper towels to drain off any excess oil. Serve immediately. 
Dessert... 
 
Lemon Brownies
*recipe from: Rita's Recipes
These are soooooo good.  I almost ate the whole pan at once.  Mine turned out really thin, so they were more like soft lemon cookies.  But still, soooo good.  And, if you want them thicker and more like a brownie, just use a smaller pan the correct size pan (oops - see my note below).  They are also really refreshing which is perfect for a hot Labor Day party.  Mmmm....if you like lemon, make these - you will be so happy!  I think I'm going to go eat one right now :)
Ingredients:
for the brownies:
  • 3/4 C flour
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 stick butter, soft
  • 2 eggs
  • juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1T) *I added WAY more because I like it very lemony.  Taste the batter and add more lemon to taste*
  • zest from 1/2 lemon (about 1t)*I added more of this too - zest of 1 whole lemon*
for the glaze:
  • 1/2C powdered sugar
  • 1 T lemon juice *I used way more!*
  • additional lemon zest
Directions:
for the brownies:
  1. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
  2.  Mix in the softened butter.
  3. In another bowl whisk the eggs with the lemon juice and zest.  Add to the larger bowl and mix well.
  4.  Pour into prepared 8X8 brownie pan. (ohhh...whoops - I used the 9x13 pan which I now see is for the doubled recipe)
  5.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
  6. You can double the recipe and bake in a 9X13 pan for 30 minutes.
  7. Remove and let cool, then glaze.
for the glaze:
  1. Stir all ingredients together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment