Search this blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Simplify Supper

I was running out of blog ideas, so I looked up holidays in August.  It turns out that the first week in August is "National Simplify Your Life Week."  Perfect!  Here is the simplest meal I have ever made for my blog.
Drink/Dessert...
Skinny Cookies and Cream Shake
*recipe from: My Fitness Pal
I told you I was simplifying things.  What could be simpler than combining the drink and dessert?  Since it's been so hot out, I thought a milkshake would be perfect to cool us off.  I'm definitely not being as strict as I was before the wedding, but I'm still trying to have a healthier diet, so I decided on "skinny" milkshakes.  These were good, but they don't really have a milkshake consistency.  The ice gives it more of a Frappuccino kind of texture.  Even though it's no milkshake, I would make it again.  You could even experiment with different flavors!
Ingredients:
(makes 2 [1 cup] shakes)
  • 1 cup reduced-fat (1%) milk 
  • 2½ reduced-fat Oreo cookies 
  • 1 tablespoon instant vanilla pudding (dry mix) (I accidentally bought chocolate pudding and it was still delicious.  I want to try pistachio!)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1 package Splenda or Equal (I used Stevia)
  • 1½ cups ice cubes 
Directions:
  1. Add all the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Add a few more ice cubes if the shake isn’t thick enough. 
  2. Serve at once. 

Dinner...

Chicken, Artichoke, and Pesto Quesadillas
*recipe from Snixy Kitchen
Nothing is easier than quesadillas.  These are a twist on the original - kind of an Italian quesadilla.  They were really good and really easy to make.
Ingredients:
(makes 2 quesadillas)
  • 4 flour tortillas
  • ½ cup pesto
  • 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice
  • ½ cup canned artichoke hearts, quartered, and ripped into smaller pieces
  • 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
Directions:
before adding the top tortilla
  1. Cut the chicken into small pieces.  Salt and pepper the pieces and saute until cooked through.
  2. Lay out two tortillas. Spread a thin layer of pesto on each tortilla, evenly distributing between both.
  3. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the pesto, reserving a cup of cheese.
  4. Spread the chicken and artichoke hearts evenly over both tortillas.
  5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the chicken and artichokes.
  6. Place another tortilla on top of each quesadilla.
  7. Heat a skillet over medium low heat. One at a time, heat each quesadilla until the cheese begins to melt and the bottom becomes crispy and golden brown. Flip quesadilla over and cook until the other side becomes golden brown and crispy. Remove from heat, cut, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment