Search this blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Dinner With Your Valentine

I love fondue.  And I love crème brûlée.  And for some reason, both of these foods seem romantic to me.  I know, you're thinking . . . fondue, I could never make that!  Crème brûlée, certainly I could never make that!  Well, guess what . . . you can!  These two things might seem difficult to make, but they are actually two of the easiest recipes I have blogged about so far.  Not only are they easy, but they are sure to be so delicious that they will trick your valentine into thinking you are a gourmet chef.  :)
Drink...
Kir Royale
Champagne is a great Valentine's Day drink.  This is a classic cocktail with champagne and crème de cassis, a blackcurrant liqueur.  In France, it is usually drunk as an apéritif (before dinner).  We decided to drink some before and during dinner.  It was really good and went well with the meal.
Ingredients:
(for 1 drink)
  • 1/2 shot of crème de cassis
  • 4-5 shots of champagne (I preferred more champagne since the crème de cassis is very sweet)
Directions (order of steps is important):
  1. Pour the crème de cassis into a champagne glass.
  2. Add the champagne and drink!

Dinner...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fondue!  What's not to love?  Coating everything you eat in melted cheese cannot be bad.  But, I not only love the taste of fondue, I also love the experience of eating fondue.  Usually our meals are so fast.  We eat quickly and then shortly thereafter leave the table.  However, fondue forces you to slow down and enjoy everything.  This is a fondue recipe from my mom and it's a classic fondue recipe.  I am sure you could use other types of cheese, but I just love the classic Swiss!
Classic Swiss Fondue (AKA "Mom's Fondue")
*recipe from Maureen K.
Ingredients:
(serves 2)
  • 3/4 lb of Swiss cheese
  • 2 1/4 tbs flour
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups of white wine (we used Chablis which works well in the fondue and is also a traditional wine for Kir [the drink we made, but with white wine instead of champagne—the champagne is what makes it "royal"]
  • 3/4 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • dash of pepper
  • Dipping ingredients (We used bread, apples, and garlic chicken sausage. You could use so many different things!)
Directions:
  1. Cut the cheese into cubes.
  2. Toss the cheese with flour in a bag.
  3. Rub the fondue pot with the garlic clove.
  4. Pour the wine into a pot and set to medium heat.
  5. When the wine simmers, add lemon juice and cheese, stirring constantly.
  6. Bring the cheese to a bubble, then add nutmeg and pepper.
  7. Put the mixture into a fondue pot if you have one.  If not, you can eat it out of the pot in which it was cooked.  It should stay hot long enough for you to eat!
Dessert...
Crème Brûlée
*recipe from Chicago Metallic 
This is one of my favorite desserts.  Before I knew how to make it, I thought it would be very complicated, but as it turns out, it is ridiculously simple!  My parents knew about my love of this dessert and gave me a crème brûlée set a few years ago.  So, I actually have a torch to caramelize the sugar on top.  However, the recipe says you can just put the ramekins no less than 5 inches under the broiler to caramelize it if you don't have a torch. It's good with fresh berries on top as well.
Ingredients:
(serves 4)
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6 tsp granulated sugar (for the caramelized tops)

Directions:

Before Baking
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved and the egg yolk mixture is thick and light in color.
  3. Add cream and vanilla extract and whisk until blended.
  4. Fill a baking pan a little less than halfway with water.  
  5. Pour the brûlée mixture into ramekins and place the ramekins into the water bath.
  6. Bake until the edges are set, but the center is still slightly loose, about 50-55 minutes.
  7. Remove the pan from the oven and cool.  
  8. Remove the ramekins from the pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  9. Before serving, sprinkle 1 1/2 tsps of sugar on top of each and torch until the sugar is caramelized.

Torching - the scary part!
After a couple bites







1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love creme brulee also! And I really want to try the champagne too. Oh who am I kidding...the whole thing sounds awesome!! Can't go wrong with fondue! Happy Valentine's Day! Christine

    ReplyDelete